Sunday, March 25, 2012

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I know I'm too young to really know anything about that show, but it's true! Sometimes my kids say things that are flat out funny, some cute, some a little sad, and some bordering profound. One thing that is school-wide is the tremendous struggle to identify me and say my name correctly. I am often, very often called "Miss Boggs" or "Miss Rosenboggs". A few of my co-workers call me Julie... or "Miss - um, Miss-um... uh, Miss" "Rosenbaum?" "Yes, Miss Rosenbaum." On parent calls me "Rose", another calls me "Miss Rosebaum". This week I was called "Mommy," "Grandma," "Auntie," and one girl called me "Miss Abraham" (our first grade teacher). Maybe someday I will get to be myself.

My story of triumph for the week. A second grade girl asked me if we were going to have silent reading time or if we had already had it today. I told her, no, we had wasted too much time during math and had to use our reading time to catch up on our work for the day. She looked at me, crestfallen, "Oh." Perhaps my kids are starting to realize what a treat it is to have 15 mins of time just to sit and read, whatever it is you want. I certainly loved it in grade school, and while my kids are reading, so is the teacher...

My giggle story for the week. This happened at 7:40 on Friday morning, as my kids are coming in for the day.
     Girl: Do you have a husband?
     Me: No.
     Girl: Oh... (sad face)
     Me: Why do you ask? Do you want me to have a husband?
     Girl: Yeah.
     Me: So you want me to get married?
     Girl: Yeah.
     Me: Why?
     Girl: I just gotta dance!
     Me: You just have to dance? (very confused)
     Girl: Yeah, I just gotta dance! Are you gonna get married in America?
     Me: Well, it's not going to happen for some time and I can't promise you anything, but 

     I will probably get married in America. Do you want to come?
     Girl: Yeah.

Honestly, it was all I could do to keep from bursting out, laughing. Then I stepped outside to greet a student who was wearing a jacket I would contemplate wearing in December in MN... all because it had rained in the wee hours of the morning and she was "really, really cold." Then I did start laughing.

Studmuffin: Judah Sternhagen, 3
Good news! Judah Sternhagen and mom Kristen are back in Antigua. The causes of the seizures are unknown, so it was explained that 1 in 200 children have seizures with no apparent cause. Most children grow out of these. So! He has medication to stop the seizures and we'll reassess in two years. Both Judah and Kristen are glad to be home and looking well. Thanks be to God!



Aida, Judah, Sienna... kicking it on the beach       

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you are "blogging" all of this - such precious memories of the little lambs the Lord has given you to teach and guide. LOVE, LOVE the picture of the three little ones and God be praised that Judah is doing well. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete