Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Final Term

Hard to believe I have been in Antigua for over 7 months... I do believe I am a very different person, reshaped, squashed, sanded, polished, chopped, glued, welded, refined by all my experiences here. Each aspect of my life teaches me something almost every day, everything from interpersonal relationships (thank you, Prof. Paustian) to life lessons (Mom says sometimes life isn't fair) to characteristics of children (just why 7 year olds fall out of their desks at the drop of a hat?) to humility and fairness (with good lessons, prospectives, and guidance from Dad) to the beauty of creation (cross reference the country of Antigua) to pan rhythms (6 songs to learn in 6 weeks!) to the amazing, immeasurable vastness and riches that are God's mercy, personified in His Son.

You may or may not already know, but both Julie and I have decided to return to the States next year, put our names before the Assignment Committee, and wait prayerfully for whatever the Lord has in store for us come May 19. My Dad is currently holding a Call to serve as principal at WLA in Wisconsin, but I felt almost like I was holding a Call for nearly 5 months! I believe the good Lord was given me a very long lesson on prayer and seeking godly advice from others...

So, the final term. We have begun Term 3, my final academic term here in Antigua. 3 days in... not too bad. I have decided to reward student who complete and turn in their homework every day by giving them something on Friday afternoon - a new pencil, 5 extra minutes of recess, etc. Unfortunately for me, I know this will result in crying, screaming children who don't get the reward. I'm going to try the system for a month, see if I can take the negative reactions... Of course, it's my fault, mean teacher that I am, but Lord willing, these children will be taught lessons of responsibility and the reality that you don't always get what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment