Sunday, February 19, 2012

Highlights from Valentine's Week

Happy Valentine's, All! Hope your week was a splendid one. Mine was quite unusual; not at all what I would have imagined my first Valentine teaching experience to be.

Tuesday: Kindergarten through Gr 4 took an outing to see a movie at the theater in town. We squished 150 children plus teachers and chaperones on 4 buses and nearly filled the theater on our own. We watched Alvin and the Chipmunks (the most recent one, for those of you wondering). My biggest frustration while we were there was the fact that, though my 30 kids had used the batheroom minutes before we got on the bus, 4 children were asking to go 10 minutes into the movie. An hour in I finally cracked and said whoever needed to go could, and at least 20 of my 30 stood up to use the 3 stalls at the theater. Ah!!! Then when we returned to the school compound, my door was jammed, and I could not for the life of me get the door open. Had children sobbing because they were hungry... but there was nothing I could do! After 10 minutes, Pastor Johnston came to the rescue and got us in the classroom.

Wednesday: I met with a parent regarding one of my students. I have been frustrated with this student for some time now because of a blatant lack of respect and obedience. The parent was very understanding and is very willing to work with me to help the student work on giving respect at school. It is such a blessing to have Christian parents who work with me to bring up their children in the way of the Lord!

Friday: Antigua's only living national hero came to the school compound! Sir Vivian Richards, a famous and accomplished cricket player, has a niece in Gr 4. Gr 4 was celebrating Black History montha and Sir Vivian Richards came to speak to the class. The poor man was mobbed by almost the entire school (260 children) at once. Ms. Abraham told me I should get my picture with him, but in the chaos, I opted out. I did take Julie's picture with her class, though. Pretty crazy!

Saturday: Gr 1-3 are putting on a play this next Friday, so we had a work day to make decorations and set pieces. We scheduled the work day to start at 10am. Julie and I showed up a minute before, Ms. Abraham arrived about 10:10, and the first parents didn't come until close to 10:30. After a bit, we had a good crew working. 2 third grade moms stayed past 3! Julie and I have decided that all the decorations are coming to our house after the play to decorate our walls. =)
That night, Julie and I mapped out the practice schedule for the week as well as typed up the programme. (Yes, programme - British spelling) Wish us luck come Friday!

Sunday: Gr 1-2 sang for church. At one point we had 50 children smooshed into 4 pews. We really like to pack things down here!
Hermitage Resort as seen from Yuptons Beach
Sternhagen kids in the water

Miss Boggs and Miss Rosenbaum
Yuptons Beach


Grill-out at the beach
This afternoon, the Johnstons, the Sternhagens, the Richards, the Landwehrs (Mr. Eric Landwehr is our school visitor from St. Lucia, this time he brought his family), Mrs. Cindy Holman (ECE director, visiting SJL for a few days), Julie, and I had a grillout on the beach. Yuptons Beach (Mom, this is for you) is on the western side of the island, south of Jolly Beach. Beautiful place! Pastor Sternhagen found a seastar and a sea urchin, and I found many brightly colored pieces of shells. Lots of nice sun and I don't think I got burned! Perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment