Sunday, January 08, 2012

A New Year

May God bless you and yours as we enter into his service this new year!

I was blessed to enjoy 2 weeks in the States, home for Christmas. The first week everyone was home; Brandon from WLC, Ben from culinary school, and Luke of course as he is in his senior year at CLHS. It was good to have everyone together as we are already so spread out. Christmas night my boyfriend Julius came, so it was good to spend time with him and my family at the same time.

I flew back to Antigua, leaving the San Diego airport on Saturday, Dec 31. I rang in the New Year with snores as I slept on the plane between LA and Miami. Caught a few extra Z's on the floor of the Miami airport, then landed in a slightly soggy Antigua. Met my dad who flew down on a different airline and were picked up by 5th grade teacher, Miss Christmas. Spent the afternoon showing Dad my house, my classroom, and my neighborhood.

Monday we celebrated the Public Holiday by going to the beach and watching the Rose Bowl at the Johnstons'. I'm a little bummed that the Badgers lost, but they certainly had a good run.

Tuesday Dad came into my classroom to see the desk full of the children in my care, to get an idea of how things really are at St. John's Lutheran. I put him to work right away, checking over work the children had from over break and working one-on-one to correct items they had wrong. He had some pointers and some encouragements for me, an invaluable gift from a father to a daughter. He also enjoyed exploring parts of the island, was introduced to shawarma, attended choir Wednesday night, and nearly took my house keys home to California with him. But I have my keys, he is home safely, and my only regret is having to say goodbye to my family twice in a week. One of my students reassured me as my eyes filled with tears on Friday, "It is sad when your dad leaves." Good. I wasn't sure, but now I know. =)

Everything is getting off to a splendid start. Julie and I spend a couple of hours this afternoon outlining a schedule and ideas for the play Gr 1-3 will put on this Feb. It is appropriately titled, "Why Do Mosquitos Buzz?" One of the songs is called, "Nobody Likes a Mosquito," and I think everyone will get a kick out of it. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Again, God's blessings as you begin 2012 in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment