Sunday, December 04, 2011

10K in the Rain

Apparently, there is always a week in either December or January when the weather is cloudy, windy, and rainy. I would venture a guess (and a hope) that this is the week because since Friday night, we have had nothing but clouds and wetness, interspersed with clouds and humidity and clouds and torrential downpour. Saturday morning we went to town to pay bills and do some Christmas gift exchange shopping, and we got rained on throughout the morning. We were blessed enough to get a ride into town from a neighbor and a ride back from a church member.

Cindy Johnston had suggested that we train for a race. When she had originally mentioned it, she had said something about training for a 1/2 marathon in Barbados. That didn't happen for financial reasons (and laziness, too). Then we said we would start training so we would be ready any time a race popped up.(Lofty goals, never really followed through on the training part of the plan.) Sandals Resort had such a race, an opportunity to run 5K, 10K, or a 1/2 marathon (actually 15 miles, but who's counting?). The race was scheduled to start at 6a.m. at the Sandals Resort and end at several different points around the island. We decided we would sign up to run the 10K with the intent of running the first 5, run/walk the send half.


Julie, Cindy, and me, 5:30 a.m., ready for our race!
We woke up to rain and doubts that the race would be held. The start time was pushed back to 6:30. The three of us were joined by Cindy's friend (Sylvina) from her kids' swim class. At the onset of the race, Julie and I paired up and set a decent pace. About 3K in, Julie paused for a break and I continued running. I made it the first 5K without stopping. I wanted to get my time and wait around for everyone else to catch up, but the timers wouldn't give me my time as I was signed up for the 10K! I couldn't see any of the others, so I decided to start running again. I stopped 2 other times to walk a block or two, but ran the majority of the 2nd 5K. My time? 66:29. Not bad for someone only intending to run 5K without any serious training.

There were a few times during the race when I felt as if I might drown in the torrential downpours or in the rivers coursing through the roadways. I was thoroughly soaked by the end, and my clothes and shoes will probably take a few days to dry out. It was enjoyable, though. Julie finished in 72 minutes, and Cindy and Sylvina finished in 76. Both good times as they all had decided to walk. Perhaps we will do it again sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment