Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday Night Post

Or is it the Saturday Night Post? I don't think it really matters...
I'm sure those of you who check this regularly are probably wondering why I would be posting on a Thursday night?! 2 reasons
-I finished my school work before 8:30! Unheard of, really, especially Thursdays, so reason to celebrate!
-Cousins James and Jon are scheduled to arrive in less than an hour to spend the weekend, so I'm not sure I will get a post in this Sunday evening.

Though the people of the fair nation of Antigua speak English (and dialect), there are some words and phrases that just throw you. Here are some examples with their rough translations.
- dress down:     scoot down (as in standing in line or sitting on a bench)
- digging me:      poking me
- diggy pencil:     sharp pencil
- troublin me:     bothering/annoying me
- belly's aching me/belly's digging me:    my stomach hurts
- my bottle trowed water:    I spilled water on the ground
- hand:        any part of your arm
- foot:         any part of your leg
- oh, that's cool:    a response to anything the hearer likes, a kind of affirmation
- Ok, alright:   both a greeting and way of saying goodbye; very neutral and noncommital
- boot in line:    cut in line
- mashed up:   messed up, ruined, wrecked
- Do I carry this home? Do I walk with this?:  Am I supposed to bring this home?
- pack:   put away/clean up

Oh, and here, I am always (and I mean always) called "Teacher." (Pronounced "teecha")
"Excuse me, Teacher?"
"Teacher, Teacher!"
"Teacher like this?"
Even parents say, "Hello, Teacher." "Good morning, Teacher." "Alright, Teacher?"
This teacher is signing out for the night. Ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment